Have had nothing but issues from the start

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
omarrrthepirate

Have had nothing but issues from the start

Post by omarrrthepirate »

I'm wondering if support gave us the wrong .ova. Nothing but issues from the start, like the VM only having 2 GB of RAM and a 60 GB disk. Support - can you delete this post? I made a much better one. Thanks.
Last edited by omarrrthepirate on Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omarrr The Pirate!
Arrrrr
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Re: This product is TOO nerdy for me

Post by lmiltchev »

This product can obviously do anything and everything under the sun, but my goodness the learning curve is steep!
I only partially agree with the second part of your statement. The learning curve could be steep if you are using the advanced configuration options, e.g. Core Config Manager. In the majority of the cases, you don't need to use the CCM. You could configure your hosts and services using the Nagios XI configuration wizards. The use of the configuration wizards is very easy and self-explanatory. Even a non-technical person can use them.
I thought I configured the right template so that I only get notified ONCE when a host goes down or changes state, but then I go to each individual server and they still have the 60 mins re-notification period configured.
Most likely, you have your notification_period configured "locally" (on the host level), which takes precedence over the template. Please read more on the "Local Variables vs. Inherited Variables" in our official Nagios Core documentation:

https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tance.html

You can go to the CCM > Hosts > <your host> > Alert Setting tab then set the Notification interval to 0 (zero), click on Save, and apply configuration. Nagios will notify you only once about the issue.
Host - notification interval

This directive is used to define the number of "time units" to wait before re-notifying a contact that this service is still down or unreachable. Unless you've changed the interval_length directive from the default value of 60, this number will mean minutes. If you set this value to 0, Nagios will not re-notify contacts about problems for this host - only one problem notification will be sent out.

Parameter name: notification_interval
Required: yes
Also, there are so many templates, and the fact that they are ALL active by default, is very annoying. I don't know how many templates are controlling my config.
I am not sure why you think it is annoying when the templates are active. Most probably, only one or two are used in your config. You can easily view your host and services configs, and determine which templates are in use. You can achieve this by going to:

CCM > Hosts > <your host> > View config

Example:
example-01.jpg
The template that is in use is defined by the "use" directive:

Code: Select all

###############################################################################
#
# Hosts configuration file
#
# Created by: Nagios CCM 3.1.3
# Date:       2021-08-25 09:49:48
# Version:    Nagios Core 4.x
#
# --- DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND --- 
# Nagios CCM will overwrite all manual settings during the next update if you 
# would like to edit files manually, place them in the 'static' directory or 
# import your configs into the CCM by placing them in the 'import' directory.
#

define host {
    host_name                   HP-M1530
    use                         xiwizard_printer_host
    alias                       HP LaserJet M1530 MFP Series PCL 6
    address                     192.168.x.x
    max_check_attempts          5
    check_interval              5
    retry_interval              1
    check_period                xi_timeperiod_24x7
    contacts                    nagiosadmin
    notification_interval       60
    notification_period         xi_timeperiod_24x7
    first_notification_delay    0
    notifications_enabled       1    
    icon_image                  printer2.png
    statusmap_image             printer2.png    
    _xiwizard                   printer
    register                    1
}

#
# Hosts configuration file
#
# END OF FILE
#
In the config above, this is the xiwizard_printer_host template.
Additionally, there are a few servers that got put in the Windows-Server group when they should be in the Linux Server group. When I go to re-configure the host, the Windows-Servers group is not checked, so I check the Linux Servers group and it remains in both groups -- even when I add it to the Windows group, save, and un-check the Windows Servers group. It still remains in both groups.
Adding a host to a hostgroup, doesn't remove it from another hostgroup. A host could be a member of two different hostgroups. You can remove it from the group that you don't want it to be a member of.

There are two ways of doing that. Some users like one of the ways over the other. It is a matter of preference really.

1. METHOD - Add a host to a hostgroup

CCM > Host Groups > <your hostgroup> > Manage Hosts > Add Selected (or Remove) > Close > Save > Apply Configuration
example-02.jpg
2. METHOD - add a hostgrtoup to a host

CCM > Hosts > <your host> > Manage Host Groups > Add Selected (or Remove) > Close > Save > Apply Configuration
example-03.jpg
You would be able to see if your host has been already added as a member of a hostgroup in the Manage Host Groups window.
example-04.jpg
No matter what method you use to manage you hostgroups - the effect is the same as far as monitoring goes. Again, it is just a matter of preference.
I guess I'm back to watching more videos because our support doesn't include remote sessions or phone calls, so it's not really worth much.
The support forum is a great place to get some help and feedback, not only from the Nagios support team, but also from other Nagios XI users. You can also learn more about Nagios XI by watching training videos (as you mentioned) and reading our official Nagios XI documentation here:

https://library.nagios.com/library/prod ... mentation/

For a specific problems, you can post on the forum or search our knowledge base here:

https://support.nagios.com/kb/

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!