Trouble With check_time command

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Re: Trouble With check_time command

Post by jdalrymple »

rockxd - you assume right...

Do that, in addition let's roundup our process so far:

Nothing special on the Nagios server.

Client server:

- time service installed
- firewall exceptions in place
- xinetd installed and started
- xinetd.d/time-stream file "disable=no"

I just want to make sure everything you've done has been on the Client server, not on the Nagios server.
rockxd

Post by rockxd »

My check_time check is working now.

I must have not installed rdate on the proper server, my apologies.

I am going through the rest of my servers, and by just installing rdate and restarting, the check_time is working!

I still would like to implement npt_time_check. I am able to write the config files and the definitions, but I do not know how to work with npt servers. Do I have to configure my own stand alone npt server or is there a public npt server that I can access? Can someone who has a working npt_time_check help me configure my own?
jdalrymple
Skynet Drone

Post by jdalrymple »

For RHEL and CentOS it's a trivial task to setup, you may have even done it during the system install and not even known it. There are public servers to use and unless you intend on installing a stratum 0 time source in your internal network it is best to have all of your NTP clients sync to lower stratum external servers.

Let's go ahead and open up a new thread for help with NTP, it is totally different (and largely better).

I'm going to lock this one up and mark it solved.

Thanks rockxd
rockxd

Post by rockxd »

One last problem everyone! I forgot that one of the servers I am monitoring mac mini, and the solution we derived is not working for that. Does anyone know how I can get the check_time command to work with mac mini?
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Can you show us what is not working and what you have tried.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
rockxd

Post by rockxd »

The error message I am getting is the same as before (see attached image). For the other servers, simply installing rdate and restarting them proved to be the solution.

I have no prior experience working with mac mini's. I have not tried installing rdate on the mac mini yet.
Attachments
UNKNOWN ERROR.png
rockxd

Post by rockxd »

Is it possible to install rdate on a mac mini?