non-basic mail flow checker

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
martijnmoi

non-basic mail flow checker

Post by martijnmoi »

Goodmorning,

My Nagios server is getting better & better.

I would like to thank you for your support so far :)

But, (there is always a but..) I got another question.

we have a Exchange 2010 server, which connects to an anti-spam server which connects to the outsite.

I want to make an advanced mail flow test to an external server. (like hotmail or gmail)

i need a script or idea to monitor:
-Mails that have been send by my Exchange 2010 server to an external server + check if the mail is successfully recieved.
-Mail thats have been send by an external server + check if the mail is succesfully recieved in my Exchange 2010.

i love to hear your ideas!

Kind regards,
Martijn
Box293
Too Basu

Re: non-basic mail flow checker

Post by Box293 »

As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
martijnmoi

Post by martijnmoi »

Thank you for your reaction,

i looked into this scripts, but this script are'nt enough. for example: the 'check email send' gives an OK status even when the mail is send to an unexisting mail adress.

i want/(need!) the full control of the mail cycle (from sender mailbox to recieve mailbox and vice versa.) Even if this means i need to create another mail server with an external adress.

Kinds regards,
Martijn
Box293
Too Basu

Post by Box293 »

Yes it sounds like you're going to need to create your own plugin / checking method here.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
martijnmoi

Post by martijnmoi »

thank you for your reply.

i will look into that.
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

I'll leave this open should you have any questions as you begin working on your plugin.
Former Nagios Employee
martijnmoi

Post by martijnmoi »

well, i did some research and i managed to create a workaround.

i am monitoring the incomming and outgoing mailqueue's of our spam appliance so that will cover the outsite mail.

Now to monitor the rest of the mailflow i used the build-in 'mail delivery plugin' and used the SMTP server and the IMAP server of our own Exchange server.

I stil need to make some documentation about this, but my problems are solved
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Awesome! Glad you were able to get it working.

Going to close this thread out, but feel free to make a new thread if you have any questions in the future.
Former Nagios Employee