Contact for just Service Notificiations

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
NetNeutron

Contact for just Service Notificiations

Post by NetNeutron »

I have a group of servers that have a contact group that manages the servers top to bottom.
In that same group I need to add a 2nd contact group of application admin that want to be notified
if their app goes down which might be 1 or all of the related services being monitored.
They don't want to get notified if the host goes down.

How do I go about doing that ?
dLans

Re: Contact for just Service Notificiations

Post by dLans »

I've not worked with notifications before as there is no need in my organization. When I open a host, on the tab "Alert Settings" I get to set contacts and contact groups. When I go to a specific service for that host I can choose different contact (groups). Could you not simply make a group "application x admin" and add them to the service alert settings?

Kind regards,
Dennis Lans
NetNeutron

Post by NetNeutron »

Hello,
I created a contact group, then a contact with just Service Notification commands.
I added that contact group to the host and applied the config.
Then XI gripped about this (Error: Contact 'support' has no host notification commands defined!)
mcapra

Post by mcapra »

The "Host Notification Command" is a required setting when defining a Contact:
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nag ... tions.html

You can set it to a dummy command that does nothing if you like, but it has to be set. Other than that, having a contact that only gets assigned to services (thanks @dLans!) is probably the best option.
Former Nagios employee
https://www.mcapra.com/