Hosts appear under old host group

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
CoMAdmin

Hosts appear under old host group

Post by CoMAdmin »

Hi I have 3 services: CPU, RAM, and Drive C. These are linked to all host groups except for one called "Pending Decommission" which is essentially where I put those machines that I want to stop monitoring. After removing all host groups from a series of machines and placing them in the "Pending Decommission" host group, they are still being fully monitored and appear under their previous groups, unchanged. I tried many troubleshooting steps including restarting monitoring engine, restarting Nagios server, and re-applying the settings after doublechecking.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.
gsmith

Re: Hosts appear under old host group

Post by gsmith »

Hi,

Please pick Configure, Core Config Manager, and click on the blue box labelled 'Hosts'.
In the list of hosts look for one that you have put into the "Pending Decommision" group.
Image13.jpg
Under the Actions column click on the Relationships icon

Go to the hostgroups tab. What hostgroup(s) show up?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CoMAdmin

Post by CoMAdmin »

Very awesome this helped me fix the issue for 2 of the hosts that had an association elsewhere. However, I am still unable to find the associations for 2 services (drive e and drive f) for 2 other hosts that are linked to their old host groups. Please find my system profile attached to see if you can help me find it.

This is for the 3 services that appear as "unknown". The hosts below are only supposed to belong to the "Pending Decommission" host group.

PRDOPSDSCL2N1
PRDOPSDSCL2N2
PRDOPSDSCL2
PRDOPSDSCL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gsmith

Post by gsmith »

Hey,

Here's what I found:

host PRDOPSDSCL2 - is in these hostgroups: Drive F Hosts, File Servers
host PRDOPSDSCL - is in these hostgropus: Drive F Hosts, File Servers

hosts PRDOPSDSCL2N1 and PRDOPSDSCL2N2 don't exist.

Please let me know if this matches what you see.

Thanks
CoMAdmin

Post by CoMAdmin »

Very true about the first 2 hosts. Missed that since I have a view containing both File Servers and Storage Systems host groups together. Huge rookie mistake sorry!

As for the other nodes however, they do exist and unfortunately the host group section for each one shows that they do not belong to any other host groups except "Pending Decommission"

Any further help would be appreciated.

Happy Friday!
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Are the only outstanding items left on this that these two hosts are showing in a hostgroup somewhere (if so, where) or that they are still showing those 3 services still?

Code: Select all

PRDOPSDSCL2N1
PRDOPSDSCL2N2
I don't see either of them with those services in your /usr/local/nagios/var/objects.cache file or in any other hostgroups.

If you go to the backend nagios core interface, does it show them like that? (use your regular XI credentials)

http://YOURXISERVER/nagios/
CoMAdmin

Post by CoMAdmin »

Im sorry the issue had been resolved with your previous suggestions. I was looking at the wrong host groups my apologies for having you dig deeper.

Thanks so much!
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Post by scottwilkerson »

CoMAdmin wrote:Im sorry the issue had been resolved with your previous suggestions. I was looking at the wrong host groups my apologies for having you dig deeper.

Thanks so much!
Locking thread
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com