Storage Sizes not Updating CHECK_VMWARE_API

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Sargento

Storage Sizes not Updating CHECK_VMWARE_API

Post by Sargento »

We have a "Datastore usage for VMHost" check, we noticed in vmware that we had a LUN filling up but XI did not alert us. I waited a while, restarted the check a few dozen times and BAM, alerted, much too late and with too much manual intervention required.

Our team went in and resolved the sizing alert, yet the VMHost alert stayed red. I let it run over night, expecting another long delay, and I come to this this morning.

Code: Select all

'OUR LUN NAME'(free)=20560.00 MB (1.63%)
The actual usage on the disk is back to a safe amount (like 50% used or so) but XI does not reflect it. Why is this?

Here is the actual check.

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_vmware_api.pl -H "host omitted" -f /path/to/creds.file -l "VMFS" -w 5%: -c 3%:
What is the missing piece here? We are trying to use XI and it's a hard sell sometimes when things don't seem to work right out of the box.

Thanks 8-)
ssax
Dreams In Code

Re: Storage Sizes not Updating CHECK_VMWARE_API

Post by ssax »

Does the check show anything different if you run the check from the CLI?

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_vmware_api.pl -H "host omitted" -f /path/to/creds.file -l "VMFS" -w 5%: -c 3%:
If not, the sizes are being returned by your vmware system and vmware is serving the wrong information. Maybe you need to do this:

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/52985
Sargento

Post by Sargento »

When I ran this check we still got "CRITICAL" though the device in question is no longer at critical levels. This is occurring almost a week after the size was reclaimed.
ssax
Dreams In Code

Post by ssax »

Given the information is being served by VMware the recommendation would be for you to reach out to their support team to determine what the resolution is as it would be a VMware issue.
Sargento

Post by Sargento »

Alrighty.
Sargento

Post by Sargento »

VMWare said that it is an issue with the CHECK_VMWARE_API code, which is not theirs and they do not support. They verified that the sizes are correct from the VMWare side and told me that you should support me to a resolution. I reran the command again..

/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_vmware_api.pl -H "host" -f/path/to/creds.file -l "VMFS" -w 5%: -c 3%:
Which again showed as critical. I went in to VSphere with the VMWare support team and they showed me that in fact nothing was critical. So the issue is with the check_vmware_api.pl script itself. It is getting numbers wrong. Is there possibly a timeout or another parameter that would force a refresh of data? I'm thinking perhaps something is getting cached to save on login attempts. Is there anything you can think of here?

The reason I ask is due to the output of check_vmware_api.pl -h to get help. I see this output down the screen a ways.. (specifically the T (value) portions)

vmfs - shows Datastore info
            + (name) - free space info for datastore with name (name)
                o used - output used space instead of free
                o brief - list only alerting volumes
                o regexp - whether to treat name as regexp
                o blacklistregexp - whether to treat blacklist as regexp
                b - blacklist VMFS's
                T (value) - timeshift to detemine if we need to refresh
            ^ all datastore info
                o used - output used space instead of free
                o brief - list only alerting volumes
                o blacklistregexp - whether to treat blacklist as regexp
                b - blacklist VMFS's
                T (value) - timeshift to detemine if we need to refresh
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi,

Thanks for the update on this, I'm going to reach out to one of our developers on this and, I will follow up shortly.

Regards,
Benjamin
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
Sargento

Post by Sargento »

Alright.
benjaminsmith

Post by benjaminsmith »

Hi,

The developer is looking into this, I should have an update shortly. Thanks, Benjamin
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.

Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

Followed up via PM
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy