OS Upgrade

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
kirior

OS Upgrade

Post by kirior »

Hi all

Does anyone know if it is possible to upgrade the Ubuntu OS on which nagios is installed without the need to re-install or re-setup Nagios?

We currently have ubunti 12.04 LTS which I believe is super out of date considering the new version sits somewhere in early 20s

If so I will work out how to do the upgrade, if there are any points to know or be careful of please let me know.

Thanks all in advance.

Regards,
Kirior
gwesterman

Re: OS Upgrade

Post by gwesterman »

Hi @kirior,

This answer covers the process of migrating your core server.

Please let us know if you run into any issues and if you have any questions.

Thank you!
kirior

Post by kirior »

Hello

Thank you for that. Few questions/assumptions/requests.

Are you able to point me towards install instructions for Nagios itself? My understanding is that the best option would be to create new server, move files and folders, test as much as possible i.e web logins ping commands from moved over commands etc and then swap IP's between old and new server (as the hosts have config files allowing single IP to connect). Looking at this it does not look like I can do in place upgrade of ubuntu OS and keeping the Nagios setup in tact.

Would I be able to install new version of nagios and then move the files from the current version over without inadeverteadly downgrading my new instal?

Thank you in advance.

Regards
gwesterman

Post by gwesterman »

Hi @kirior,

Here is a link to Nagios installation instructions.

And yes, we do not recommend in-place distro upgrades. You will want to set up the new Ubuntu server, install Nagios Core (the same version as your current Nagios server), move the files from your old server to your new one, and then upgrade Nagios Core as you would normally.

I hope I answered your questions, but let us know if I missed anything or if you run into any issues.

Thank you!
kirior

Post by kirior »

Hi

Thank you, I think this covers it all. I was hoping I would be able to install new Nagios first and then move the files, hehe but I shall do the correct process. I think I have everything I need and the links like to other resources so if I really really struggle I will be back with more questions.

Regards,
Kirior