Adding a new switch to Nagios XI.

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
shon

Adding a new switch to Nagios XI.

Post by shon »

Hi everyone,

I have added a switch to Nagios XI. It's a Cisco Catalyst 3560G-48-PS-S. It adds things fine, but gives it a weird port name and number, and doesn't pick up any interface descriptions (that I could tell) or anything.

For example, it added Ports:

10115 Port port GigabitEthernet0/15, but doesn't describe the port anywhere. I'm having a hard time figuring out how this all integrates with cacti (or is it manual?)
egalstad

Re: Adding a new switch to Nagios XI.

Post by egalstad »

Switch/router monitoring isn't handled by Cacti - its actually MRTG under the hood. The port name comes from MRTG's cfgmaker utility which scans the interfaces and determines the names. FYI, MRTG is set to log in rrdtool format and Nagios monitors the rrd file for bandwidth stats.

The service name could be changed using the Nagios Core Config Manager, but it would probably get tedious to do for several switches - especially if they have a lot of ports.
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
egalstad

Post by egalstad »

FYI, you can see the output of MRTG's cfgmaker run by looking at the /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg file. Interface descriptions should appear in there. If they look correct in your config, let us know. We can make the switch wizard smarter in the future by checking this file for descriptors.

What would be your preferred way of naming ports for your switch?

A. Port 1
B. Port 1 (<system descriptor string>)
C. <system descriptor string>
D. ... or something else?
As of May 25th, 2018, all communications with Nagios Enterprises and its employees are covered under our new Privacy Policy.
anritter6281

Post by anritter6281 »

I am using the NagiosXI Trial, and I attempted to add two large Cisco Catalyst 6506 switches to Nagios. I agree with the original post that ifAlias or ifDesc should be part of the wizard, otherwise it is hard to know, when using the wizard, what interfaces are what. The listing (in Nagios) is not easy to correlate with the CLI output commands to know which interface is which. It appears that the naming in the add device wizard uses symbolic naming, and it should be something more like physical interface name and system description string.

The only issue here is that different vendors stick the information in different SNMP OIDs. This can be figured out with the vendor choice in the first stop of the wizard, granted.

I suggest B. from your post Ethan, but I suggest using the actual physical name as defined inthe switch MIB table so that the Nagios Admin can readily identify which port on which blade, or which port on which switch in the stack.

If you want/need, I can post the specific SNMP OID subtrees for Cisco gear.
mmestnik

Post by mmestnik »

Some OIDs would be welcome. I wonder if vendor selection would even be necessary, couldn't the output of all the known OIDs be concatenated with perhaps some logic where needed to squelch any known repeats. The logic could even be smart and query OIDs in a specific order based on known MIBs.

Others have written some Wizards and the current Wizards can be downloaded change and re-uploaded.