External command error: Command failed

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
jsmurphy

External command error: Command failed

Post by jsmurphy »

Hi guys,

Upgraded XI 2012 -> 2014 today and it all went fairly smooth... with one little exception. We have noticed that NSCA and some SNMP traps are failing to have their events processed with the following messages generated in the log:
2014-05-29 14:48:14External command error: Command failed
2014-05-29 14:48:14Error: External command failed -> PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;10.232.1.2;SNMP Traps;2;A linkDown trap signifies that the SNMP entity, acting in 7 TenGigabitEthernet2/3 ethernetCsmacd Lost Carrier / ifIndex.7 (INTEGER32):7 ifDescr.7 (OCTETSTR):TenGigabitE
I saw a similar thread that mentioned checking the kernel message lengths and have the following in sysctl:
/usr/local/nagios/var/rw # sysctl -p

kernel.msgmnb = 131072000
kernel.msgmax = 131072000
kernel.shmmax = 4294967295
kernel.shmall = 268435456
Which I think should be sufficient. I haven't turned on debugging yet, thought I would see if some one had already encountered this little problem before I dug any further.

As always any help would be greatly appreciated :)
scottwilkerson
DevOps Engineer

Re: External command error: Command failed

Post by scottwilkerson »

I haven't seen this yet. Do you happen to know if the was the whole message submitted to the External command?
Former Nagios employee
Creator:
ahumandesign.com
enneagrams.com
jsmurphy

Post by jsmurphy »

That is indeed the whole message, but I solved the mystery.

If an external command is submitted for a device it can't find then it will display the command failed error as well as the usual "host could not be found warning" you would get in 3.x. I'm not sure how I missed that yesterday but there you go.
lmiltchev
Former Nagios Staff

Post by lmiltchev »

Thanks for the feedback, jsmurphy! I am locking this topic.
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!