Refresh SNMP check on Nagios

Support forum for Nagios Core, Nagios Plugins, NCPA, NRPE, NSCA, NDOUtils and more. Engage with the community of users including those using the open source solutions.
jitesh24

Refresh SNMP check on Nagios

Post by jitesh24 »

Hi

Need help with refreshing devices configured on our Nagios monitoring system. Is there any way we can do the same.

Just as an example, a few ports on the switch were assigned to some customer with description and vlans etc and we managed it through SNMPcheck. Now that new customer and configurations have been added to the ports, we keep getting nagios alerts related to the older configurations. Despite acknowledging the same, we keep getting the alerts. We are looking at a way to stop alerts from being generated and also change the description to reflect latest one's whenever we have any nagios alerts generated

Thanks

Regards,
Jitesh
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Re: Refresh SNMP check on Nagios

Post by sreinhardt »

Can you give a more exact example of what you changed, and what is happening now. As of now I know you are monitoring some ports via snmp, they have been possibly changed for a new customer, but you are still seeing the old alerts. Was nagios restarted to pickup the config changes? Are the old checks still in place? What check are you using, and how has it changed?
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.
V3xX

Post by V3xX »

sometimes it helped for me to delete (rename with *.cfg.tmp) the config file, restart nagios, create a new file (rename back to *.cfg) and restart nagios again.
this way i did'nt have a problem with old data when changing the cfg file.
There are 10 kinds of people on world,
those who understand binary and those who don't.
jitesh24

Post by jitesh24 »

Hi Guys

Thanks for your response

@sreinhardtNot

You are correct. Not really sure if someone had restarted nagios or made any changes to the config file cause i still see the old configs in cfg file A better example would be one of the ports which was shutdown after we deprovisioned the customer, removed entire configuration and reverted to default interface configurations. Even though the interface is in shut state and the alert being acknowledged, nagios still keeps generating the old "SnmpCheck port" alert.

@V3xX

Am relatively a newbie to nagios and was not sure about making changes to the device config (cfg.device) file

Regards,
Jitesh
sreinhardt
-fno-stack-protector

Post by sreinhardt »

Could you PM me a copy of the original config( the one when the client was still there) and the new-ish configs(I suppose these would really be the "original" ones). Also if you could include a copy of the alert you are getting. It's really hard to picture why this is happening without configs and concrete steps as to what was changed.
Nagios-Plugins maintainer exclusively, unless you have other C language bugs with open-source nagios projects, then I am happy to help! Please pm or use other communication to alert me to issues as I no longer track the forum.