Host Scheduled Downtime - getting alerts for services

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
Fred Kroeger

Host Scheduled Downtime - getting alerts for services

Post by Fred Kroeger »

Hi - We're running NagiosXI 5.3.3
It appears that the updated Scheduled downtime isn't quite working as before? Previously when we scheduled downtime for a host, alerts for any services were also suppressed (no we didn't have to select "Schedule downtime for associated services") . It just did it automatically.
Now when we schedule downtime for a host, we are still getting alerts for any Service event. Is this expected behaviour now?

BTW - great work with the updated Scheduled Downtime screen. Much more usable - now the only thing missing is being able to select a Host or Service Group.
Can you also confirm what Timezone is used when scheduling downtime? Is it still the Server TZ or has it been updated to use the Users timezone now?

Thanks... Fred
dwhitfield
Former Nagios Staff

Re: Host Scheduled Downtime - getting alerts for services

Post by dwhitfield »

First off, thanks for the kind words.

As to the scheduled down time, well, it *might* be expected. Did you select "Do nothing with associated services" when you scheduled the down time? More info (and screenshots) at https://support.nagios.com/kb/article.php?id=544

Time zone is Nagios server. FYI: There is an outstanding Feature Request to show and allow for more TZ functionality within Nagios XI.
Fred Kroeger

Post by Fred Kroeger »

Yes - in the older versions if the Host was in downtime, then the services also didn't alert - so we never bothered to select the services as well (mainly to reduce the clutter on the screen).
My thinking is that if you put a Host into Downtime then you also wouldn't want to receive any alerts for the services?
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

In the newer version, you can select how you'd like to treat services - whether it be nothing, or including all of the services as well. Might be time to upgrade! :)
Former Nagios Employee
Fred Kroeger

Post by Fred Kroeger »

I am running the later version which is why I have picked up this issue. We never had to select all the services as well when we put a host into downtime.
What I'm questioning is, if you are putting a host into downtime - why would you want to continue to alert for the services?
If you can't ping the server, you usually can't check any of the sevice either?
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

Got it.
What I'm questioning is, if you are putting a host into downtime - why would you want to continue to alert for the services?
If you can't ping the server, you usually can't check any of the sevice either?
In most scenarios, this would be correct. However, there are still cases where services will continue to run with ICMP blocked. (perhaps security, HA) You could define parental relationships to assist with this though, if it'll affect your environment.
Former Nagios Employee
NetNeutron

Post by NetNeutron »

Perhaps the default should be the Host and all services ?
Just my unsolicited 2 cents.
rkennedy

Post by rkennedy »

NetNeutron wrote:Perhaps the default should be the Host and all services ?
Just my unsolicited 2 cents.
I will bring this up for discussion, thank you for the contribution.
Former Nagios Employee