Error: (use_ssl == true): Request packet version was invalid

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
saber

Error: (use_ssl == true): Request packet version was invalid

Post by saber »

Hi,

Since the linux agent was updated, nagiosxi does not seem to be able to connect correctly to the agent:

Code: Select all

Apr 30 11:43:27 XXX nrpe[38892]: Error: (use_ssl == true): Request packet version was invalid!
Apr 30 11:43:27 XXX nrpe[38892]: Could not read request from client , bailing out...
Apr 30 11:43:27 XXX nrpe[38892]: INFO: SSL Socket Shutdown.
Using latest version of NagiosXI and Linux NRPE Agent. Centos 7 x86_64 on both.

Thanks,
Saber
tgriep
Madmin

Re: Error: (use_ssl == true): Request packet version was inv

Post by tgriep »

Can you get the nrpe.cfg file from the remote server and upload it here so we can view the settings for it?

Also, there are many different ways to install the NRPE agent, which way did you install it?
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!
ffhs

Post by ffhs »

I have exactly the same issue here. NRPE was installed on the CentOS 7 servers from the EPEL repo by yum. End of April all the NRPE agents were upgraded to version 4.0.3 by yum auto update. Since then, I am getting the mentioned errors in syslog whenever Nagios XI plugin check_nrpe is querying the CentOS 7 servers.
Yesterday I have upgraded the Nagios XI server to the latest version 5.6.14, but the plugin check_nrpe on the Nagios XI server is still in version 3.2.1.
Checks are running as the agents are falling back to packet version 2 when query an agent in version 4 by a plugin in version 3. But this is not really the solution I am looking for, using the old packet version 2.
Will there be a plugin check_nrpe in version 4 soon for Nagios XI or is it possible to tell my agents on the target systems to talk with packet version 3 even if version 4 is installed? But I haven’t seen any config parameter in the nrpe.cfg so far.
tgriep
Madmin

Post by tgriep »

The NRPE plugin looks like it will be updated in the next XI release but that will be a while so if you want to update the plugin manually, you can.

Look at this link
https://support.nagios.com/kb/article/n ... e-515.html

Towards the bottom, you will see the following header and the instructions for the plugin installation follows it.
Install check_nrpe Plugin Only
Use this link to download the nrpe version

wget --no-check-certificate -O nrpe.tar.gz https://github.com/NagiosEnterprises/nrpe/archive/nrpe-3.2.1.tar.gz
The way the NRPE plugin negotiates the SSL version of the agent does generate a lot of messages in the remote server but if the checks does work, you can disable the message by changing the following option in the nrpe.cfg file to a 1. That should stop all logging for the agent.

# This option allows you to enable or disable logging error messages to the syslog facilities.
# If this option is not set, the error messages will be logged.

disable_syslog=0
Be sure to check out our Knowledgebase for helpful articles and solutions!