How to export query results to a text file?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios Log Server, our solution for managing and monitoring critical log data.
jolson
Attack Rabbit

Re: How to export query results to a text file?

Post by jolson »

This feature has not been implemented yet, but it is in our system and the developers know that many users are requesting it. The largest feature that has been requested is granular user access, followed by a reporting system. The next NLS release should be within a few months, and it is my hope that both of these features will be implemented - but that will depend on the development roadmap. I will definitely be pushing for them. Thank you!

Jesse
Twits Blog
Show me a man who lives alone and has a perpetually clean kitchen, and 8 times out of 9 I'll show you a man with detestable spiritual qualities.
onthax

Post by onthax »

Hi Jesse,

Any update on this feature?

Is there an expected release date?
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

Unfortunately I don't have any update on the progress of this feature request. Right now Nagios Fusion is the next product to get a big release, and I'm not entirely sure about the development timeline after Fusion. I don't have any sort of estimate or date for a new release at this time. There are a lot of great feature requests for NLS currently, so when it does reach its turn in the development cycle, expect some exciting stuff.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
Dnet8

Post by Dnet8 »

To be hones I am very suprised that this feature is not in NLS. When I reccomended this product to my manager I assumed that such a basic feature was included.

Now we are stuck with a years worthy of logs that requires CLI magic to extract. Not very management friendly.

We will be moving away from NLS very soon because of this.
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you, and we're sorry to see you go. I will discuss this with our development team.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

So I know I'm coming late to the game, and I often see things from the perspective of a child (or as my wife says, "a stupid child"), but can't you get the text from the sender side? I mean, you're sending log files, after all, and they generally compress well. I know it's not as great as being able to extract that information from NLS, but with some good log file rotation, compression, and archiving, you have the very text you're trying to extract from NLS right on the source machine(s).
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

I think the point here is they want something their management can do. I know I wouldn't want management having logins to all of my servers that would be sending the logs.
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
eloyd
Cool Title Here

Post by eloyd »

Oh. Management. MANAGEment. I get it. Yah, do NOT let them touch servers! :-)
Eric Loyd • http://everwatch.global • 844.240.EVER • @EricLoydI'm a Nagios Fanatic!
hsmith
Agent Smith

Post by hsmith »

Yep!
Former Nagios Employee.
me.
sooz4u

Post by sooz4u »

I can't believe this fundamental "export" or "dump" is not yet implemented. It's either hard or no one really cares. As long as I can't get reports for my Executives ... this solution won't fly.

After a slight bit of experimetation ... if you change the "Paging" setting on the Events panel to the maximum number of records you expect, then use select, copy/paste into a text file, then open that file in Excel - the fields are tab delimited and this actually does the trick. I now have a dashboard (with different fields) in the Events panel just for this purpose. It's a bit of work but does what I need. Anxiously awaiting a real data dumper type of function in NLS.
Last edited by sooz4u on Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.