Upgrade not working?

This support forum board is for support questions relating to Nagios XI, our flagship commercial network monitoring solution.
BanditBBS

Re: Upgrade not working?

Post by BanditBBS »

t's true that IBM/RH introduced a new support period for RHEL 7, but we made the decision not to follow that path for our product. The intention was to allow upgrades to work until 2024R1.1.5 and to officially remove support for EL7 in 2024R1.2.
Then why isn't 1.1.5 upgrading for us on Linux 7? I and planning my upgrade(migration technically) to OEL 9, but would love to get onto 1.1.5.
2 of XI5.6.14 Prod/DR/DEV - Nagios LogServer 2 Nodes
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
gregbeyer

Post by gregbeyer »

swolf wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 am
There might have been an opportunity to communicate our distribution support better. I agree that it would be frustrating to find out our stance after the upgrade itself failed.

We dropped support for all EL7 distributions when CentOS 7 hit end of life at the end of last month. It's true that IBM/RH introduced a new support period for RHEL 7, but we made the decision not to follow that path for our product. The intention was to allow upgrades to work until 2024R1.1.5 and to officially remove support for EL7 in 2024R1.2. We encourage you to make time to migrate to EL9 as soon as you can.
-Sebastian
Yes, a sticky post at the top of this forum announcing important things like this would be helpful, or hey, maybe an "Announcements" forum would be better where termination of OS support, release announcements, other critical stuff could be highlighted. Hiding this stuff in changed documentation doesn't really cut it.

@banditbbs, You should also be aware of "Changed Operating System Version / Architecture / Family" section in https://answerhub.nagios.com/support/s/ ... 4-b36feda0

In fact, that whole document is relevant, as it appears you've got a server migration in your future.
BanditBBS

Post by BanditBBS »

gregbeyer wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 12:39 pm
swolf wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:50 am
There might have been an opportunity to communicate our distribution support better. I agree that it would be frustrating to find out our stance after the upgrade itself failed.

We dropped support for all EL7 distributions when CentOS 7 hit end of life at the end of last month. It's true that IBM/RH introduced a new support period for RHEL 7, but we made the decision not to follow that path for our product. The intention was to allow upgrades to work until 2024R1.1.5 and to officially remove support for EL7 in 2024R1.2. We encourage you to make time to migrate to EL9 as soon as you can.
-Sebastian
Yes, a sticky post at the top of this forum announcing important things like this would be helpful, or hey, maybe an "Announcements" forum would be better where termination of OS support, release announcements, other critical stuff could be highlighted. Hiding this stuff in changed documentation doesn't really cut it.

@banditbbs, You should also be aware of "Changed Operating System Version / Architecture / Family" section in https://answerhub.nagios.com/support/s/ ... 4-b36feda0

In fact, that whole document is relevant, as it appears you've got a server migration in your future.
Yeah, I've done it multiple times in the past 15 years :) But thanks for the mention!
2 of XI5.6.14 Prod/DR/DEV - Nagios LogServer 2 Nodes
See my projects on the Exchange at BanditBBS - Also check out my Nagios stuff on my personal page at Bandit's Home and at github
sgargano

Post by sgargano »

Haha, you silently updated the OS compatibility matrix... :roll:
swolf
Developer

Post by swolf »

@BanditBBS (and others), our release team is actively working on building a version of XI 2024R1.1.5 that installs and upgrades properly on CentOS 7 and RHEL 7. I can't give you a specific date, but as the thread shows, you're far from the only person to experience this. I have a reminder set to update this thread when we get there.

@gregbeyer, we actually used to have something like that! I'll pass that up the chain, but I definitely feel that we should be able to accommodate making a couple of additional posts during release.

@sgargano, I wasn't a fan of that one either, but I think there was a hope that at least a couple people would check the matrix before updating and avoid what you ran into. I'm hoping that our final resolution for this issue looks a little different.

-Sebastian
Developer @ Nagios 2017-05-15 thru 2024-08-06