From Nagios Support Wiki
Back To Nagios XI Overview
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding Nagios XI can be found here.
- 1 FAQs
- 1.1 Common Solutions - Try These First
- 1.2 Nagios Admin Account Notifications Not Controlled Through XI
- 1.3 Distributed Monitoring
- 1.4 Performance Graphs Are Missing Or Not Displayed
- 1.5 Installation
- 1.6 Core Config Manager Problems
- 1.7 Email Notifications Are Not Going Out
- 1.8 SourceGuardian Errors
- 1.9 Resolving "NSP: Sorry Dave, I can't let you do that" Errors
- 1.10 Login Screen Keeps Redirecting To Itself
- 1.11 Unable To Delete Hosts
- 1.12 Network status map parent/child relationship not updating(v1.3)
What Are FAQS? Frequently Asked Questions, or "FAQs", are listed questions to frequently asked in some context, and pertain to a particular topic.
Fun Note: Since the acronym FAQ originated in textual media, its pronunciation varies - "fack," "fax," "facts," and "F.A.Q." are commonly heard. Depending on its usage, the term may refer specifically to a single frequently asked question, or to an assembled list of many questions and their answers.
Common Solutions - Try These First
Follow these steps if you are encountering problems with Nagios XI. These actions solve many commonly asked questions.
Instructions on how to do it.
- How To Reset Security Credentials (if performance graphs aren't displayed)
Select the Reset Security Credentials option in the Admin section and click Update.
- How To Reset File Permissions (if configuration changes are not taking effect)
- Debugging Configuration Change Problems (if configuration changes are not taking effect)
Write configuration file tool.
Nagios Admin Account Notifications Not Controlled Through XI
- The nagiosadmin user was set to use the generic_template contact template, which resulted in notifications not being controlled through the XI interface.
This can be corrected by changing the user's contact template to be xi_generic_template is the Core Config Manager. This bug was corrected in 2009R1.2 and only effects systems that had/have previous versions installed.
Is Nagios XI capable of Distributed Monitoring?
Performance Graphs Are Missing Or Not Displayed
This can happen for a variety of reasons, but there are several simple solutions that resolve this issue for most people:
- Reset Security Credentials
Select the Reset Security Credentials option in the Admin menu and click Update
- Reset File Permissions
Instructions on how to reset file permissions.
- Further reading
yum failed or proxy/firewall
When it comes to issues or problems related to Operating System configuration we are just not equipped to assist.
Contact distributor for support using yum and the error "transfer failed - Unknown or unexpected error". Also contact DAG with assistance with regard to Firewall settings.
You don't need to use DAG, any where you can get the required pkgs would be fine if that's what RedHat suggests.
For issues with our VM Images seek assistance for the appropriate version of CentOS(5.4 as of this writing).
Core Config Manager Problems
If you make changes to your configuration and they are not reflected in XI, it may be due to file permissions. Here are two options to try:
- Reset File Permissions
Instructions how to do this.
- Using the CCM Write File Tools
Using the Write Configuration file tool.
Modifying The Contents Of /usr/local/nagios/etc
- You can keep custom configuration files in the /usr/local/nagios/etc/static directory
- Don't modify config files directly in /usr/local/nagios/etc, as they will be overwritten by the Core Config Manager
Email Notifications Are Not Going Out
This can happen for a variety of reasons:
- The nagiosadmin is set to use the generic_template contact template.
This should be xi_generic_template, and can be modified by using the Core Config Manager. This bug was corrected in 2009R1.2 and only effects systems that had/have previous versions installed.
- Outbound SMTP connections may be blocked by your border firewall
- Unauthenticated SMTP relaying may be denied somewhere downstream - try switching email methods from Sendmail to SMTP in the admin section
After upgrading to 2009R1.2C, some users started getting an error about SourceGuardian. Add this line to your /etc/php.ini file:
Once you make that change, restart Apache:
service restart httpd
Resolving "NSP: Sorry Dave, I can't let you do that" Errors
Login Screen Keeps Redirecting To Itself
The web browser keeps redirecting to the login screen even after entering login credentials. This has been noticed in Internet Explorer.
Unable To Delete Hosts
Hosts can only be deleted after all of their dependent services and associated relationships have been deleted. Make sure to delete any associated services or other objects before deleting the host.
Network status map parent/child relationship not updating(v1.3)
Underneath the Parents box in the CCM, make sure the "standard" radio button is selected. If "null" is selected your parent host selection doesn't get written to disk. We're working on a method of fixing the CCM so this doesn't happen with several fields.